Taking control – help available for students with disabilities

According to UCAS, over 60,000 students with physical or mental health conditions and learning difficulties apply for university every year. With a huge variety of support available you can reach your full potential and succeed both at university and in your future career.

University offers a safe and supportive environment where you can experience more independence but know that help is there if you need it. Under the Equality Act 2010, universities are required by law to make reasonable adjustments to their services to ensure that students with a range of disabilities including sensory and physical impairments, mental health difficulties, specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia are supported throughout the duration of their course and given the same opportunities as all students at university.

When you apply to university, you will have the option to let admissions staff know that you have a disability. For some people, this may be hard to do, but the sooner you let your chosen university know, the quicker staff can put adjustments in place ready for you to begin your studies.

Once you have accepted a place at university, your next port of call should be a Student Support Team at your university. If you have indicated that you have a disability in your application, they may contact you directly. This department is often based on campus and is responsible for supporting disabled students. Advisors can help you with a range of matters, from applying for Disabled Students’ Allowances and arranging accommodation, to making sure you have access to any specialist equipment and technology you need to help you get the most out of your studies.

The support you’re entitled to can be tailored to your specific needs. If you want to take advantage of some resources, but not others, that’s your decision. Advisors can provide you with the appropriate advice and guidance so you can make an informed decision about your education. They also encourage parental or guardian involvement and work together to give you the best support at the start of your journey at university.

Find out more about what support is on offer for students with disabilities on the UCAS Website.

Skip to content