Exceeding expectations – a guide to Adjustment

You’ve probably heard of Clearing and how it can help students find a place at university if they didn’t get the grades needed for their first choice. But what happens if your grades are better than you expected?

Adjustment allows you to change where and what you study if your grades are better than expected come Results Day. If you’re happy with your choice, you don’t need to do anything, but if you want to look around and see what’s available, Adjustment allows you to do this.

Using Adjustment won’t affect your existing unconditional firm choice, so if you don’t find anything, you won’t lose out. You’ll only lose your unconditional firm choice if you confirm you’d like to go elsewhere.

Here’s a step-by-step guide to the Adjustment process:

Get some advice
Before registering for Adjustment, have a chat with your school or college adviser to see if Adjustment is right for you.

Register on Track
If you decide to go ahead with Adjustment, you need to register. You can do this by clicking ‘Register for Adjustment’ on the choices screen in Track – remember you can only do this if you have met and exceeded the conditions of your firm offer. You will then have five calendar days to research and secure a new course. If you don’t find a new place during this time, you’ll take up your place at your original choice.

Research and contact universities
There is no vacancy list for Adjustment so you will need to contact admissions teams at universities directly to find out what is available. Tell them that you are applying through Adjustment and give them your Personal ID. They will then check if you are eligible.

Accept a place is one is offered
If you are offered a place over the phone, you just need to let them know that you’d like to accept. You will lose your original place if you accept a new one through Adjustment, so make sure it’s the right one for you. Once this is done, your new university will contact UCAS to let them know and your Track screen will be updated with the new choice. If you’re not offered a place, you can keep looking for a new university until your Adjustment time limit runs out, or stick with your original place.

Find out more about Adjustment here.

Skip to content